Secondary 4 ECG Day
14 March 2019 (Thursday) marked the Education and Career Guidance (ECG) Day planned for the Secondary Four and Five students, when the Express/Normal (Academic) and Normal (Technical) classes visited the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and the Singapore Polytechnic (SP) respectively.
The main objectives of the campus visit were to:
- help our students to learn more about the world of work and the various education and career pathways that are available in the marketplace,
- help them to reassess their strengths, talents and passion,
- help them to make informed and responsible ECG decisions, and to
- inspire them through the various course offerings, research facilities and academic projects available in the University and the Polytechnic, to pursue higher education and continual learning.
During the Campus visit, the students had plenty of opportunities to view the facilities around, as well as to ask questions to find out more about the various courses and career pathways available.
After the Campus visit, the students shared their thoughts in groups about:
- What is the one thing seen / observed that intrigued / fascinated you during the trip?
- In what way has this trip changed your perception of certain professions?
- How has this trip helped you in shaping your education and career decisions?
Finally, the students did an individual reflection on:
- What are the areas of competence / skills that you know you are good in?
- What are some of the areas which you need improvement in?
- What do you envision yourself to have achieved / completed before the start of the preliminary examinations?
- What do you think could be hindering your progress in achieving your goals and what are you going to do about it?
We hope that through this learning journey and reflection exercise, the students could reflect deeply about their passion, be clearer about their goals, and make concrete plans to achieve them.
Nanyang Technological University