Direct School Admission (DSA) Exercise – Admission to Secondary One in 2020
If you are a Primary Six pupil, you can be considered for direct admission if you are exceptionally talented in the following:
- Sports and Games: Basketball (Boy), Netball (Girl), Volleyball (Boy/Girl)
- Performing Arts: Marching & Concert Band (Boy/Girl)
- Language: The Malay Language
(I) Eligibility Criteria
Applicants must meet the following criteria under the respective categories:
1 Basketball (Boy), Netball (Girl), Volleyball (Boy & Girl)
- Demonstrate exceptionally strong talent and interest in the sport.
- Key player in school team preferred.
- Top 8 placing at National School Games (NSG) competitions preferred.
2 Marching & Concert Band (Boy/Girl)
Meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Served as a Sectional Leader or Band Leader in the Primary School Band.
- Outstanding achievements at national or international levels in Band.
- Minimally 2 years of playing experience in a wind or percussion instrument.
3 The Malay Language
- Achieved consistently strong academic results in the Malay Language.
(II) Selection Process
1. Selection will be based on how well the applicant meets the entry criteria. Proofs of applicant’s areas of strength
and achievements are essential.
2. Shortlisted applicants will be required to participate in a selection trial (for Sports and Games) / audition (for Band)
/ assessment (for the Malay Language) and an interview.
2.1 For Sports DSA, applicants are to report in sports attire and sports shoes.
2.2 For Marching & Concert Band, applicants will be assessed on the following:
a. Sight reading: To be conducted and assessed by the Band Director.
b. Preparation of 2 contrasting music pieces of his/her own choice.
c. Ability to read scales: Bb Concert; Eb Concert; Ab Concert; Db Concert; C Concert
* Applicants can choose to use their personal instrument or the one provided by the school during the DSA
2.3 For the Malay Language: Applicants are required to complete a written assessment.
8 May 2019, 9 am
to 4 June 2019, 3 pm
|Online application at DSA-Sec portal.|
|3 to 5 July 2019||
Shortlisted candidates will be informed of the selection trial / audition via email.
|13 July 2019 (Sat)||Selection trial for Volleyball (8.30 am to 12 noon)|
|13 July 2019 (Sat)||
Audition for Marching & Concert Band (9 am to 12 noon)
|13 July 2019 (Sat)||
Assessment and interview for the Malay Language (9 am to 12 noon)
|20 July 2019 (Sat)||Selection Trial for Netball (8.30 am to 12 noon)|
|20 July 2019 (Sat)||Selection Trial for Basketball (8.30 am to 12 noon)|
2 Aug 2019 (Fri)
|Release of DSA results via email|
|21 to 25 Oct 2019||Primary School: Exercise School Preference Stage|
|End Nov||Primary School: Results Release Stage by MOE.|
(IV) Application Procedure (8 May 2019 – 4 June 2019, 3pm Singapore Time):
From 2019, application for DSA-Sec can be submitted through the online DSA-Sec Portal. The application is free-of-charge and will be open from 8 May to 4 June 2019. For more details, please refer to MOE website – www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/direct-admissions/dsa-sec .
Applicants who are not from MOE mainstream primary schools will be required to obtain a registration number from MOE Customer Service Counter before applying through the DSA-Sec Portal. Please refer to https://va.ecitizen.gov.sg/cfp/customerPages/moe/displayresult.aspx?MesId=5509687 for more details.
Submission of certified true copies of certificates/ documentary proof for non-school based activities and achievements will be required from shortlisted applicants on the audition/trial/assessment/interview day.
Parents and students are encouraged to choose schools wisely based on the student’s aptitudes and strengths, bearing in mind the schools’ academic and non-academic requirements, and the programmes available to develop the area of talent.